The Melbourne Club at Brocket Hall was designed from the first to offer some of the finest golf in the UK. It has two championship standard courses, the Melbourne and the Palmerston. Both are set within the contours of the 18th century parkland and take full advantage of the mature landscaping. As such, they provide a challenging and varied game for golfers of all abilities. With due regard for the time-honoured importance of the 19th hole, the Clubhouse provides first-class restaurant, Members’ bar and lounge, pro shop and an extremely well-appointed function room.
Job Title: General Assistant
Reports To: Clubhouse Manager
Location: Welwyn, United Kingdom
Salary: Competitive Salary
Working Hours: 0-hour contract
General Assistant role:
- To undertake the activities of the department ensuring that high standards of service are maintained and that the requirements of our guests are met.
- To ensure that you are fully aware of the duties you are required to undertake via briefings and constructive conversation with supervisors and management.
- To keep yourself informed of the Golf Club’s goals and objectives, including those of other departments.
- To provide a high standard of food and beverage service to our members and guests at all times.
- Ensuring accurate orders are taken at all times.
- To ensure that you are knowledgeable about the menus and beverage services which are available and in which outlets they are served and at what times.
- To keep yourself informed about the Health and Safety polices of the Estate and attend training where required. You must inform your line manager of any health and safety concerns you may have.
- To deliver the company products and departmental service standards in line with the Standard Operational Procedure (SOP) and company guidelines. Ensuring high standards are continually met in all aspects of the department and thus meeting, whilst aiming to exceed, customer expectations at every opportunity.
- To ‘meet and greet’ all Members and Guests on their arrival at the Restaurant & Bar/Patio
- To be sales focused; up-selling when the opportunity arises.
- Ensure the accurate production of Member and Guest bills ensuring that payment is received and processed correctly.
- To be part of a team which promotes good morale and co-operation. Work with an ethos of commitment and pride in the department and the job you are doing.
- To ensure that you communicate effectively within your area of work and attend team meetings as required.
- To be receptive to and pro-active in your own training and development.
- To become familiar with Members likes and dis-likes in order to anticipate needs and exceed expectations.
- To be aware of and strictly adhere to fire procedure as laid down by the Company.
- To attend training when required.
- To be aware that your appearance, actions and conduct reflects on the Company and must be exemplary at all times. To promote and represent the Company in a mature and professional manner at all times.
- All members of the Clubhouse team must have flexibility in their roles with regards to seasonal requirements of hours and workload.
- To help maintain effective relationships and communication with all other departments.
- Answer incoming calls promptly and efficiently in the agreed manner. Re-directs calls as necessary or take messages.
- Pass on any messages taken, quickly (by telephone, e-mail, in writing or in person).
- Answer the gate phone calls, requesting identification and destination on the Estate. Allow authorised personnel only, through the Hall gates. Inform appropriate staff of guest’s arrivals.
- Manage keys for Melbourne Lodge rooms and the club lockers. Records any missing ones – and reports them to the Clubhouse Manager.
- Resolve guest problems quickly, efficiently and courteously.
- Ensure the smooth handover between shifts and that all pertinent information is passed on to the oncoming Reception Cover.
- Provide concierge-type services to guests and members.
- Has full knowledge of the RoomMaster system.
- Take bedroom reservations and cancellations. Records no-shows. Handles check-ins and registration, check-outs and billings via RoomMaster.
- Pass on all relevant information to other departments in connection with special bedroom requests (i.e., cots, z-beds, flowers etc.). Plus, details such as early check-ins, late checkouts etc.
- Inform Housekeeping and Maintenance departments of problems as they arise.
- Thoroughly understand and follow the proper money handling policies and procedures.
- Understand the type of rooms available and the room rates. Must be aware of all special offers available and be ready to quote them and make the appropriate reservation.
- Use suggestive selling techniques to sell rooms and to promote other services of the Estate.
- Perform administration tasks as requested.
General Assistant Requirements:
- Preferably holds a Food Hygiene Level 1 certificate
- Good standard of education
- Food and Beverage Service experience (ideally in 4/5* establishment)
- Knowledge of wine desirable
- Excellent spoken English
- Ability to communicate effectively is imperative
- Must have a desire to generate customer satisfaction
- Immaculate personal appearance is required
- Ability to work in a pressurised environment
- A confident and professional approach is essential
- Should possess an eye for the finer detail
- Flexible working hours
General Assistant Benefits:
• Free Car Parking • Complimentary meal during your working day • Career opportunities and the ability to cross-train in other departments • Contributory Pension Scheme • Reward for introducing a friend • Free Golf & Staff Discounts (Subject to qualifying period).
Want to Apply?
Fill in the form below and submit
Brocket Hall History
Planning your Visit
Hertfordshire AL8 7XG